Because the majority of the world’s population is at home taking part in the fight against Coronavirus (COVID-19), social platforms and messaging services are becoming more than ever the tool to keep us connected to the outside world and our circle of friends and family.
Today we want to introduce you to the best group video calling applications, so that we can see each other without having to leave home. All of them are FREE and easy to use, some are more popular than others, but all of them are of great quality.
Top 8 Group Video Calling Applications
Here is a list of the 8 best applications for making group video calls easily and for free:
Let’s start with the most obvious choice, WhatsApp is certainly the most universal, we all have it, it’s free, supported by Android and iPhone and very easy to use. It guarantees good video and audio quality, but is limited to four people at a time.
- Pros: everyone has it.
- Cons: only four contacts at a time, no video calls in the web version.
The Google proposal comes pre-installed on all Android smartphones, just activate it the first time you open it and it’s also compatible with iPhones. It can also be used from a PC and can connect up to 8 people at a time with good quality. With Pixel there are also nice art effects. Google also offers Meetings for group video calls with up to 100 people, but it’s more PC-friendly.
- Pros: easy to use, works from a smartphone and a PC and has up to 8 users.
- Cons: Once the call is started, no users can be added.
For years, synonymous with “video calling applications”, Skype can connect up to fifty people at a time, displaying four at a time (but the quality inevitably declines) from both smartphones and PCs on any operating system. In short, on paper it is the best option, but it is used less and less (of course, you can receive the invitation and use it from a browser, without an application installed) and on smartphones it works less smoothly than on mobiles.
- Pros: up to 50 contacts, it works everywhere.
- Cons: not always of constant quality, less used than before.
One of the fastest growing programs in recent times thanks to its high quality, especially in the professional field. It can hold up to 100 users simultaneously showing them all. In the free version, group video calls are limited to a more than acceptable duration of 40 minutes. It works like a smartphone or a PC and for those who do not use it there is a link to open a browser window.
- Pros: up to 100 people involved, good quality, browser link to those who do not have the application.
- Cons: less known by the general public, 40 minutes limit for free users.
The instant messaging application linked to Facebook can enable calls and video calls between users on both smart phones and PCs. The advantage is the abnormal catchment area, combined with the ease of use and six users that can connect to each other. Another 50 can be added, but without video.
- Pros: it is closely linked to Facebook.
- Cons: six users at a time, the others without video.
Apple’s proprietary application for group video calls between BiteBlock devices is not usable by Android or Windows PCs, so it cannot cover all users. It is activated from Settings > Facetime and opens up to 32 users together and also supports MeMoji.
- Pros: quality solution integrated into Apple devices
- Cons: Cannot be used on Android or Windows.
Pre-installed on iOS devices
The most fun choice, even if it is the one that suits a younger and slightly out-of-tune audience. Houseparty connects up to eight people and even entertains them with mini-games. As they are shared public spaces, to avoid strangers joining in, you have to dial the corresponding entry before starting the call with friends. It also requires registration.
- Pros: It also offers mini-games for up to eight people.
- Cons: You must set privacy and request registration.
Zooroom is a real-time group video calling application. We can talk to up to 12 people at the same time in a video conference. There are no purchases in the application and no registration is required. We can send invitation links.
- Pros: Up to 12 users at a time and great video quality.
- Cons: Little known.